If you want to survive and thrive in this extremely volatile and risky crypto market, you have to play by the right set of rules.
In this post, I will share with you 25 actionable crypto investment rules that will help you stay on top of your crypto game and become a more successful investor.
25 Golden Crypto investment rules
- Learn how to do your own research (DYOR) because nobody will do it for you. Don’t just invest in a token because it’s trending or someone said it was a good idea.
- Assume everything is a scam until proven otherwise and invest accordingly.
- Invest only in projects that you fully understand WHAT they’re doing and HOW or WHY they will succeed. Fundamentals is everything.
- Invest for the long-term because crypto is not a get-rich-quick scheme.
- Use only the most reputable (or regulated) and highly liquid centralised crypto exchanges in your jurisdiction.
- Never STORE your funds on a centralised exchange or platform except you absolutely have to for any reason. Even then, take them out as soon as possible.
- Learn how to secure your private key (PK) as they give anyone who has them full access to your crypto assets. And if you lose it, you will lose access to your coins forever.
- Learn before you try to earn. Don’t invest in crypto if you can’t understand it. It’s extremely volatile, highly manipulated, full of scams, mostly unregulated, and it’s the most risky asset class.
- Never invest money you cannot afford to lose in crypto. For example your food or rent money, kids’ school fees, loans, etc. Because one mistake and it could all be gone.
- Never tell anyone your net worth or how much crypto you own irl or online. Otherwise, you may become a target for scammers, hackers, or thieves.
- Have a crypto investment plan and strategy and stick to it no matter what. But remain flexible enough to adapt to the changing market conditions.
- You must monitor and regularly reevaluate your investments. Hacks, exploits, rugs, etc, can affect your investment and will require you to respond swiftly to save yourself. Stay current.
- Double-check every crypto transaction as it can’t be reversed. You want to be sure you entered the correct amount and address before sending or signing any transaction.
- Don’t take “financial advice” from anyone, not even your favourite crypto influencer. Everything you read online is for information purposes only. It’s your responsibility to analyse, digest and use it to make your own decisions.
- Don’t trust, verify. The level of misinformation and lies in crypto is alarming. Learn to verify from THE or a reliable source before you act on any information.
- Except you’re a professional trader, avoid day trading and leverage trading. It’s the easiest and fastest way to lose money in crypto.
- Never sell at a loss except you’re cutting your losses and reallocating to a higher conviction play. Remember, you can’t lose if you don’t sell.
- Keep a sizeable portion (5% to 25%) of your portfolio in stablecoins (USDC, USDT, DAI). You want to always have dry powder to buy the dip or protect your portfolio against a marketwide crash.
- Diversify but don’t overdo it. Allocate into BTC, ETH, and altcoins from different sectors or chains. The larger your portfolio size the more you can diversify and vice versa.
- Allocate most (>50%) of your money into BTC and ETH and spread the rest across high-conviction altcoins with solid fundamentals. BTC and ETH shield your portfolio from extreme volatility and the altcoins expose you to greater upsides.
- Stay teachable and constantly learning as things change fast in crypto. Always assume you don’t really KNOW anything or the market will humble you.
- Never lock your crypto assets over long periods (months or years). Extended locked staking is like swimming with your hands tied to your leg.
- Remove your emotions from every crypto trading or investment decision as much as possible. Fear and greed are your worst enemies, don’t let them influence your actions.
- Always take profit when you can or reach your profit target. You can sell a portion of your bag, taking out your original capital with some profit and hold the rest as a moonbag if you want.
- Take note of crypto regulations in your country. You don’t want to be caught on the wrong side of the law unaware.
Following these crypto investment rules can keep you safe and give you clarity or focus in the heat of the excitement.
Now over to you, which are your favourite crypto investment rules?